Wednesday, April 14, 2010

lazy

this may come as no surprise to anyone who actually knows me, but i have finally concluded that i am lazy. this, after many years of suspicion and flat out being told.

i am overweight because i am lazy.
i throw my clothes on the floor when i get into bed because i am lazy.
i ask eli to grab me a diaper and wipes for ida because i am lazy.
we don't practice the piano enough at our house because i am lazy.
etc.
etc.
etc.

what is the definition of lazy?

lazy: unwilling to work or use energy, showing a lack of effort or care, characterized by lack of effort or activity.

i have also concluded that it stinks to be lazy.

last night we watched "joe vs. the volcano". have you watched that lately? it is a magical quirky little film. joe, dismayed with work and his "life" is told by his doctor that he has a "brain cloud" and he has 6 months to live. he is approached by a wealthy business man who proposes he becomes a human sacrifice and jump into a volcano on a remote island. with nothing to lose, he accepts. through the process of getting getting his act together and ready for an adventure, he begins to live life again. he begins to care, show interest and live. after floating for several days out in the open ocean, joe has an epiphany :





lazy, i have decided to go jump in a volcano. i'll see you around.

you know what happens to joe right? go watch the film.


7 comments:

Lisa said...

You are having vacation withdrawls! I had it for like 2 weeks after only a 1 week vacation. You were gone for 2 so I bet you will have it for a while. When I finally recovered I was actually very productive! It's just a sign that you had a great trip and needed a break. Don't jump in until after our visit this summer!!

Catherine Dabels said...

Jess, wanna start a support group for busy moms who think they're lazy? I could be president. We could eat Crave cupcakes and talk about why we can't be skinny. I haven't seen the movie and I don't think I want to, I'd have to go find it somewhere and that requires getting up and exerting some energy.....

I'm tired.

Stacey Salmon said...

I will come be lazy with you in 3 days!!!
SS

embot said...

I love this post. I mean, i totally disagree with it and have never in our 14 years of friendship ever thought of you as lazy, but i get it. and it's real. i feel like a bobble-head over on my blog. "everything is sooooo sun-shiney!" you know what i mean.

i like real feelings. And i like your friend Catherine. i don't even know her and i love her!

You're already completely awesome so go do whatever it takes for you to feeeeeeeel awesome.

Sara said...

Too bad I am not coming up with Stacey because I would love to be lazy with you. I bet it is really fun. And I do all those things (especially the clothes on the floor) who cares.

Anonymous said...

I have felt that way about myself a lot too and then realized we all feel that way sometimes, but I have seen really lazy people and believe me you are not one of them.

God meant for us to be kind to ourselves, you need a break once in a while. When you have those adorable children and are as great a mother as you are, there is no chance for lazy.

Love, Kathy

Bethany said...

Everybody has to pick and choose, and thank heavens you've chosen to throw clothes on the floor and not harp on piano practice versus choosing not to be thorough on testing Ida's allergies or doing wonderful things with Eli.

I can completely relate to your feelings, but boy can we be too hard on ourselves sometimes.

You're wonderful, Jess.