Wednesday, December 1, 2010

the secrets of the universe + the loch ness monster

lumpy trees, stars & the loch ness monster

THE purple tree by popular demand

colouring fun!


it is december folks.

i printed, organized and stuffed the advent calendar last night. eli just pulled out the first awesomely exciting suggestion of what to do today. "colour christmas pictures???..."
ooookkkkk.... {he is getting too old for this stuff, plus it didn't help that ida was sacked out on the couch not participating}. colouring is FUN! let's do it!! hurray! it's advent calendar fun!!!

by the way, here is a list by day of our advent calendar activities this week {i know the schedule so i can be prepared, but the kids don't know}.

dec. 1. christmas coloring
dec. 2. decorate sugar cookies {***made the dough last night, cooked them today, see thoughts...}
dec. 3. make hot chocolate and drink by the fireplace
dec. 4. TREAT! {i have placed in some pockets little chocolatey treats}
dec. 5. create a family theme/motto for 2011
dec. 6. make egg nog shakes
dec. 7. TREAT!

***sugar cookies. love to eat them, hate to make them. wow. what difficult finicky little morsels. it's the flour and the rolling and dough sticking to the counter top/the cookie cutter/the rolling pin and my hands. i did get better with each batch that i threw into the oven, perfecting my skills... but those first few... WOW. not good. the cookies we will decorate tomorrow are wonky stars, saggy trees, rocking horses {which look like the loch ness monster} and several star wars characters that i decided to throw in just for the heck of it.

on another note, last night eli found out. on the way to cubs, eli turned to c.j. and said, "dad, a couple of kids in my class told me today that there is no santa claus. is that true?". c.j. said all he could do was smile nervously and look straight ahead at the road. {do i tell him, do i not tell him.....} "yes, eli, there is no santa." then the conversation went something like, it is important to have and enjoy the christmas spirit, remember what we are really celebrating, it is fun for little kids, keep it a secret, etc, etc... it might be a different christmas this year with eli knowing we are sneaking the presents under the tree and ida just old enough to be really excited about "santa claus". two totally opposite ends of the spectrum.

alrightttt! ida just woke up. the coloring-o-rama is in full force. the most wanted "christmas-y" type picture printed out? anything from GREMLINS. no santas or elves, just gremlins.

sure, why not.

5 comments:

Cara said...

You can't tease us with that pic of the purple tree!!! We need a full length shot!!!! :)

Sheila said...

Oooh love the tree, I want a purple tree too......and yes, please show it all. And the cookies look scrumptious....
Loved your blog again today.

Catherine Dabels said...

I can remember the day I found out too. My dad let it slip on the chairlift at Lake Louise. I played it cool though, like I already knew because at 11 I probably should have already known!

I was sick for the rest of the day, but only because in that moment I realized what a sucker I was.

I hate making cookies.......

Proud Momma said...

Yes sugar cookies are the worst...but so yummy!
I think Drew will find out soon, he's too smart and he keeps finding santa presents! arg!
Also, what a cute advent calendar idea! What does it look like?

Bethany said...

As my kids have found out I tell them that talking about whether Santa is real is like talking about sex -- you only talk about it with your parents.

I'd hate for my kids to be the ones spilling it to others' kids!

(And love the pictures -- and especially the purple tree.)