Sunday, May 23, 2010

borderline hoarder?

how's the weekend been?

we took a little trip up to edmonton over night. we thought we would have a snazzy shopping trip at the west edmonton mall {biggest mall in north america, 5th largest in the world} but ended up walking away with 9 pairs of socks for c.j., a cookie with a hair in it and a ride on the killer roller coaster. yes i said killer, june 14, 1986, google that. so yah, nothing too exciting or fancy.

tonight i watched several episodes of "hoarders". if there was ever any a time i thought my house was a "mess" and generally unacceptable, it went right out the window after watching what some people live like. WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!
the amount of crap that was stuffed, shoved, hidden, layered and brewing in their homes was jaw dropping. i just kept wondering where it was all was coming from. how does an empty bottle of beer sit there for 3 years on your coffee table? can't you smell the piles of dog poop? when the only empty seat in the house is the toilet, it is hard to play cards with friends... oh, ya, nobody has been in your home for 8 years, you probably don't have any friends. this all becoming perfectly clear now...

i found myself amazed and yet felt worried that that could happen to me...

you see, at the end of the day, i like to take my clothes off and get into bed. it drives c.j. crazy. he picks them up from my side of the bed and throws them in the dirty clothes. they are not necessarily dirty, which in turn, drives me nuts. i say don't "touch my clothes", he says "put them away then." can i not, in my own house, in my own room, next to my own bed, do what i want with my clothes? i don't hang them from the chandelier, i don't weave them down the stair bannister, i don't layer them in truck loads on the kitchen floor in front of the stove. but i do leave them next to my bed. that is where i want them. which makes me question myself. am i like the psycho hoarder that doesn't want their stuff touched? every time c.j. picks up my clothes and hauls them off somewhere i go mental, just like the hoarders! am i going to end up on some A&E special..."it all started with some clothes next to her bed..."

i probably am nuts. call in the hoarder police, they have a new case on their hands.




6 comments:

Lisa said...

Too funny! I have the same reaction as you when I watch that show. CRAZY and so sad! I do find myself using some of the "coping techniques" with Audrey ....do you really need 6 old paper towel rolls - can I just throw out 2 of the old ribbons you found on the ground - if I take a picture of this drawing of a sun that you made 3 years ago can I throw it away? What does this mean?!??

Anonymous said...

Watching that show made me uncomfortable too. I wanted to throw away everything that was not used daily. Mom

embot said...

doug and i took an personality/organizational quiz on the way back from palm springs (from real simple) and we were at polar ends of the spectrum. me more right brain and he totally left brain. classic. opposites attract.

cindy W said...

that show is like a car crash...i don't want to watch, but i HAVE TO!!!! and yes, then i also go through my house chucking stuff in the trash.
and PS Jessica...I'm just like you...off come the clothes and all over the floor they go. they will get picked up another time!!! so if you're headed for a TV special, then so am i!!!

Lifes Delish said...

I drop my clothes on the side of the bed to. I told my husband it's so i have something to throw on in case of an emergency:). Yea, he's not buying it just giving up.

Catherine Dabels said...

Tell c.j. that he is the only man left on the planet that this particular behavior bothers and if he wants to know where he can and renew his man card tell him to give Darcy a call.

I married a hoarder, although, in my defense, I didn't know at the time. I live an A&E special. Don't even get me started. Fortunately for him though he married someone who throws stuff away as soon as I get it in the house. Fortunately for me he has the worst memory in the world so when he brings crap home and I chuck it out he doesn't even notice. Except his snakeskin cowboy boots..... he noticed that.